Tips and advices
- Before taking an outdoor trip, the following tips and advice may help you.
- Plan your journey in advance. it’s important to always consider possible risks or unexpected situations which may occur when we decide to take a trip of one or more days away from the city. always consider:
- Before leaving, check the weather forecast. in wilderness areas the weather is very unstable, but having a reference could help you.
- Notify your loved ones or people close to the place where you’re going, specifying the number of days, people travelling with you, and approcimate return date. notify local authorities (police checkpoints) or rescue agencies such as socorro andino www.socorroandino.cl
- Take more food and water than you need; this could be vital while awaiting help or rescue.
- Always take more warm clothing than you need. carrying an extra blanket could help you make it through the night inside your vehicle as much as outside it.
- Always carry basic safety equipment such as a first aid kit, and lanterns to pinpoint your location.
- Always check the vehicle in which you’re travelling, including: air pressure in tyres (and the spare wheel, in case you need it); lights in good condition; brakes in perfect condition; if you’re going to an area with snow, it’s important to always take a shovel (even a small one), snow chains, and some means of towing your vehicle.